Happy Lunar New Year of the Goat

by - February 27, 2015

恭喜發财! 新年快樂!

Yes! It's still Chinese New Year, a pretty big celebration of 15 days in our culture. This is my favourite festival and I'm so glad Melbourne celebrates it too.

For me it is all about family togetherness and although I didn't get to go back home to be with my parents, I'm here with my own family, something I'm very grateful for. 

I love decorating the house with lots of red ornaments. Red is an auspicious colour for us Chinese and it is also believe to ward of evil.

The sweets and goodies I get to eat only during this time of the year. High calorie food but oh so yummy! Melbourne doesn't have all the ones I love but these are more than enough to satisfy the new year cravings. And of cos my home-made pineapple tarts are a must.

Another must have is Yu Sheng a.k.a Prosperity Toss. A symbol of prosperity, abundance and vigor. This is more my culture rather than Lammy, he has never had it before he met me. If you want to know what this it exactly - Google.

This is my ultimate love. I can't get enough and always wished the new year never ends so I can keep eating it. There are many versions of this but I will settle with what I can get here. Little Lam is getting in on some tossing action, gotta start them young.

What's new year without mandarin oranges and Nian Gao "New Year Cake" a sweet glutinous rice cake. 

Oranges are exchanged during new year greetings and Ang Baos "red packets" containing money for luck is given from elders and married couples to all children and singles. Lammy said he never used oranges and was quite surprised seeing them the first time. Well, he adapted and little Lam is also more than happy to be holding it.

His not letting them go.


I truly believe the year doesn't start until Chinese New Year and I hope this year of the Wood Goat will bring good fortune, good health and most importantly a wooded goat. HUAT!! HUAT AH!!



You May Also Like

0 comments